New Hope Center for Grief Support offers loss-specific ongoing peer support groups for those grieving all types of loss. We have groups that meet throughout Southeastern Michigan, and several that meet virtually. New Hope peer support groups are open to all, and are always free of charge. We encourage you to attend any groups you feel might help you cope with a loss- you are welcome to attend multiple groups. No advance registration is required for adult peer support groups.
If you have experienced a recent loss, are not sure what program might be right for you, or have questions about peer support, we encourage you to schedule a First Steps meeting at a New Hope office.
Loss Due to Suicide: A support group for anyone who has lost a loved one to suicide. This group meets in a hybrid format, every Wednesday at 5:00pm. Participants are welcome to join in-person at the New Hope office, or virtually on Zoom.
Loss Due to Substance Abuse: A support group for those who have lost a loved one to substance abuse or overdose. This group meets the second Wednesday of each month, 7:00 – 8:00pm. The group currently meets in person at the New Hope office, but will be moving to a hybrid format beginning in March. Participants are still welcome to attend in person, but will also be able to join via Zoom.
- Starting Again: A program to support widows and widowers through Early Grief, Transition, and Moving Forward. Starting Again Groups meet in person in Northville, Novi, Dearborn, and Howell.
- Northville: Meets at Ward Church (40000 Six Mile Rd, Northville MI) on the first and third Thursdays of the month, 7:00 – 8:30pm.
- Dearborn: Meets at First Presbyterian Church of Dearborn (600 North Brady Rd., Dearborn MI) on the second and fourth Thursdays of the month, 7:00 – 8:30pm.
- Novi: Meets at Brightmoor Church (40800 13 Mile Rd, Novi MI) on the first and third Tuesdays of the month, 7:00 – 8:30pm.
- Howell: Howell is the newest Starting Again group, sponsored by Borek Jennings Funeral Homes. Meetings will begin on February 22, and will be held on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month. Meetings will be at Howell Methodist United Church (1230 Bower St., Howell MI).
- Men’s Spouse Loss Group: A support group for men of all ages who have lost their spouses, whether early in grief or years removed from the loss. The Men’s Spouse Loss Group meets on the second Thursday of the month, 7:00 – 8:30pm in person at the New Hope office.
- Widow’s Group: A support program for women of all ages who have lost their spouses, whether early in grief or years removed from the loss. The Widow’s Group meets virtually (via Zoom) every Tuesday at 6:00pm. Zoom link here:
Child Loss: The Parents of Hope program offers peer support groups for parents who have lost a child. Group meetings are in-person in Brighton and in Northville. Parents of Hope Brighton meets at Cornerstone Presbyterian Church (9455 Hilton Rd., Brighton MI) on the first and third Tuesdays of the month at 7:00pm. Parents of Hope Northville meets at the New Hope Office on the first and third Wednesdays of the month at 7:00pm.
Support for All Losses: This group is open to anyone grieving any type of loss, including a parent, sibling, friend, significant other, or other relationship. The Support for All Losses group meets virtually at noon every other Monday (please see calendar).
Young Adult Grief Discussion Group: This group is open to those ages 18-30 grieving any type of loss. The Young Adult Group meets in a hybrid format on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month at 7:00pm. Participants are welcome to join in person in the New Hope office, or virtually via Zoom.
Teen Group: The Teen Group meets in six week sessions. Teen Group is open to high school students ages 13-18. The group meets every Tuesday at 7:30pm for six weeks during a session. All group meetings are virtual and held on Zoom. The next Teen Group session begins May 3. Parent/Guardian permission and pre-registration is required. Sign up here: